Day One - Fitness Testing
Tuesday, 07.12.2011 / 7:15 AM
Islanders Strength & Conditioning Coach Jesse Demers said that fitness testing is done by every team at the start of camp so that management can asses the returning players improvement from the previous year, but also so that they can show each player their progress and areas that could still use improvement. For the new players, it allows management to see each player's fitness level as well as give them a reasonable goal for when they come back for Training Camp in September.
Demers noted, it also helps stir a little healthy competition amongst the players.
The tests each player will undergo include:
- Body Fat, Height and Weight
- Vertical jump (Power)
- Triple long jump (Power and endurance)
- Hexagon drill (Quickness)
- Pull Up (Upper body and muscular endurance)
- Medicine Ball Throw (Upper body power)