|New York Islanders
27-35-9 (63 points – 8th in Metropolitan Division, 14th in Eastern Conference)
31-31-9 (79 points - 7th in Metropolitan Division, 11th in Eastern Conference)
Television: MSG PLUS
Play-by-play: Howie Rose; Color: Butch Goring
Radio: WRHU 88.7 FM, LI News Radio 103.9 FM
Play-by-play: Chris King
• Road Trip: The Islanders enter their two-game trip having won 12 of their last 17 road games (12-4-1).
• Boulton: The Islanders agreed to terms with Eric Boulton on a one-year deal on Sunday.
• Clutterbuck Hits 10: Cal Clutterbuck scored his 10th goal of the season Sunday afternoon. Clutterbuck has scored double-digit goals in each of his five full NHL seasons.
• Sundstrom: Johan Sundstrom picked up his first NHL point - an assist - on Sunday afternoon.
• Hurricane season: Carolina has gone 3-0-0 against the Islanders this season, using three different goalies.
• Cane Killers: The Hurricanes' penalty kill has gone 40-for-44 (91%) in their last 13 games.
• Staal Breaks Through: Eric Staal broke through an 11-game goal scoring drought Saturday against the Winnipeg Jets. The Hurricanes leading scorer has two assists in three games against the Islanders this season.
• Faulk: The Hurricanes signed Defenseman Justin Faulk to a 6-year $29- million dollar extension.
|Islanders player to watch
Calvin de Haan - Defense
Calvin de Haan has emerged as a rookie revlation in his first season with the Islanders. The smooth-skating defenseman is looking to finish a strong rookie campaign, especially after missing the 2012-13 season with a shoulder injury. The Carp, Ontario native eats key minutes on the Isles back end and is among the top three rookies (in the NHL) in average ice time (20:36). The 22-year-old is also 11th in team scoring with 14 points (3G, 11A).
|Hurricanes player to watch
Justin Faulk - Defense
Justin Faulk has been a steady presence for the Hurricanes’ defensive corps this year. Carolina sees Faulk as their defenseman of the future and inked the 22-year-old to a six-year, $29-million extension. This season – his third with the Hurricanes – Faulk has 24 points (3G, 21A) and is starting to be recognized as a reliable two-way player who can not only defend, but also chip in on offense. Faulk was on the US Olympic Team at the Sochi Games.
|2013-14 season series (0-3-0)
The Islanders are 0-3-0 against their new division rivals, losing each contest to a different goaltender. In the teams’ most recent outing, the Islanders had a three-game winning streak snapped in a 3-2 loss to the Hurricanes on January 4. The Islanders peppered Anton Khudobin with 40 shots.
Jan. 4, 2014: CAR 3, NYI 2 - RECAP, BOX SCORE, HIGHLIGHTS
|New York Islanders previous game lines
27 Anders Lee – 51 Frans Nielsen – 21 Kyle Okposo
12 Josh Bailey – 29 Brock Nelson – 15 Cal Clutterbuck
17 Matt Martin – 18 Ryan Strome – 13 Colin McDonald
28 Johan Sundstrom – 53 Casey Cizikas – 43 Mike Halmo
44 Calvin de Haan – 3 Travis Hamonic
14 Thomas Hickey – 24 Kevin Czuczman
46 Matt Donovan – 7 Matt Carkner
45 Anders Nilsson
20 Evgeni Nabokov
|Carolina Hurricanes previous game lines
12 Eric Staal – 8 Andrei Loktionov – 19 Jiri Tlusty
21 Drayson Bowman – 11 Jordan Staal – 28 Alexander Semin
53 Jeff Skinner – 20 Riley Nash – 16 Elias Lindholm
14 Nathan Gerbe – 22 Manny Malhotra – 39 Pat Dwyer
4 Andrej Sekera – 26 John-Michael Liles
65 Ron Hainsey – 27 Justin Faulk
44 Jay Harrison – 73 Brett Bellemore
31 Anton Khudobin
30 Cam Ward
|Quote of the Day:
Head Coach Jack Capuano on Sunday's win:
“I thought we limited the grade-A chances. They had a few, but the ones that they got were from breakdowns in the defensive-zone coverage. The game was really us managing the puck and the turnovers.”
|Back to top ↑|