Born: July 17, 1956 in Val Marie, Saskatoon
Seasons with Islanders: 15
- Selected by the New York Islanders in the 2nd round (22nd overall) in the 1974 NHL Amateur Draft.
-Selected by the Cincinnati Stingers in the second round (18th overall) in the 1974 WHA Amateur Draft.
- Presented with the Calder Trophy for the NHL's top rookie for the 1975-76 season on June 7, 1976.
- For the first time in his career, scored five goals versus the New York Rangers on December 23, 1978. His goal tally also set a franchise record (later tied twice).
- Presented with the Hart Trophy as the league's MVP for the 1978-79 season on June 11, 1979.
- On May 24, 1980, the Islanders won their first of four consecutive Stanley Cups and wins the Conn Smythe Trophy as the playoff MVP.
- Scored fifty goals in the 1981-82 season.
- Had a franchise-record 25-game point-scoring streak (28+27=55) that started on January 21, 1982 vs. Pittsburgh and ended on March 13, 1982 at Los Angeles.
- Set a franchise record with four goals in one period on February 13, 1982.
- Set a franchise record and tied an NHL record for fastest goal to start a game with a tally at 0:05 at Boston on March 22, 1984 at Boston.
- Became the 20th NHL player to score 1,000 points on January 29, 1985 vs. Minnesota.
- Scored his 500th NHL goal on February 13, 1990 vs. Calgary.
- Finished his Islanders career with 14 hat tricks.
- Finished his career with six 100-point seasons, all with the Islanders, (1977-78”1981-82, 1983-84).
- Elected into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1997.
- His No. 19 was retired and raised to the rafters at the Nassau Coliseum on October 20, 2001.
WHERE HE RANKS IN FRANCHISE HISTORY:
- First in games played with 1,123.
- First in points scored with 1,353.
- First in assists with 853.
- First in playoff points in 170.
- Second in goals scored with 500.
- Second in power play goals with 158.
- Second in game-winning goals scored with 68.
- Third in short-handed goals with 17.
- Led the Islanders in assists seven times (1977-78”1980-81, 1983-84, 1986-87”1987-88).
- Led the Islanders in points four times (1977-78”1980-81, 1986-87).
- Led the Islanders in power play goals twice (1981-82, 1987-88).
- Led the Islanders in shorthanded goals twice (1977-78, 1984-85).
- Led the Islanders in game-winning goals once (1981-82).
Seven - 1976, 1978, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1986
Calder Trophy (Rookie of the Year) - 1 (1976)
Art Ross (Regular Season Scoring Leader) - 1 (1979)
Hart Memorial Trophy (Regular Season MVP) - 1 (1979)
Conn Smythe Trophy (Playoff MVP) - 1 (1980)
King Clancy Memorial Trophy (Leadership & Charity) - 1 (1989)
Six (as a player) - 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1991, 1992
|1975-76||New York Islanders||NHL||80||32||63||95||21||13||1||7||8||8|
|1976-77||New York Islanders||NHL||76||30||42||72||34||12||2||8||10||2|
|1977-78||New York Islanders||NHL||77||46||77||123||46||7||0||3||3||4|
|1978-79||New York Islanders||NHL||76||47||87||134||50||10||2||4||6||13|
|1979-80||New York Islanders||NHL||78||42||62||104||68||21||12||17||29||16|
|1980-81||New York Islanders||NHL||73||31||72||103||74||18||11||18||29||34|
|1981-82||New York Islanders||NHL||80||50||79||129||88||19||6||23||29||40|
|1982-83||New York Islanders||NHL||80||34||55||89||68||17||8||12||20||18|
|1983-84||New York Islanders||NHL||68||40||71||111||59||21||8||6||14||49|
|1984-85||New York Islanders||NHL||68||28||31||59||47||10||4||2||6||8|
|1985-86||New York Islanders||NHL||78||37||59||96||72||3||1||1||2||2|
|1986-87||New York Islanders||NHL||80||23||64||87||50||14||8||5||13||12|
|1987-88||New York Islanders||NHL||77||30||52||82||48||6||0||0||0||10|
|1988-89||New York Islanders||NHL||73||17||28||45||44||--||--||--||--||--|
|1989-90||New York Islanders||NHL||59||13||11||24||29||4||1||0||1||4|