FAN-FRIENDLY NYI SCHEDULE RELEASED
The Islanders have released their 2006-2007 regular season schedule, and the good news is that it's the most fan and family-friendly lineup of games that the franchise has had in years.
Among the highlights of this year's regular season schedule:
- 16 Saturday games, up from 11 last season.
- 5 Matinee games at the Coliseum: the day after Thanksgiving, Friday, Nov. 24 vs. Sidney Crosby and the Penguins (2:00 pm); a Martin Luther King Day matchup on Monday, Jan. 15 vs. Tampa Bay (noon); a President's Day special vs. the Penguins (1:00 pm); Saturday, Feb. 24 against the Montreal Canadiens (1:00 pm); and a classic rivalry game against the Rangers for NBC on Sunday, March 25 (12:30 pm).
- A trio of incredible games over Thanksgiving weekend: Wednesday night, Nov. 22 against the defending Stanley Cup champion Carolina Hurricanes, the Friday Nov. 24 matinee against the Penguins and a visit on Saturday night, Nov. 25 from Alexander Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals.
- Home opener: Saturday night, Oct. 14 at 7:00 against the Boston Bruins. Season opener: a four-game swing beginning Oct. 5 through Phoenix, San Jose, Los Angeles and Anaheim.
- A visit from the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday, Jan. 30 and a day-after-Christmas showdown with the Rangers at 7:30 pm.
- The return of 7:30 weeknight opening faceoffs. The Islanders had changed to 7:00 starts a few years ago, but with the advent of the hurry-up faceoff and most games ending in well under two and a half hours, the franchise has returned to 7:30 starts to give fans more time to get to the arena. Saturday night starts remain at 7:00 pm.
Without a doubt, now is the best time to become an Islanders full season subscriber, a member of NYI 365. For the first time ever, subscriber perks include pre-purchase privileges for hot concerts at the Coliseum. As always, the Islanders offer the deepest discounts in the metropolitan area to their season subscribers. Call 1.800.882.ISLES now for information.