A GRAND START TO THE SEASON
Saturday, 09.8.2007 / 2:05 PM ET / News
New York Islanders
Largest crowd of Islanders fans in five years shows up to purchase tickets at the Coliseum
Saturday turned out to be a gorgeous morning, which only added to the excitement at the Nassau Coliseum for the start of the 2007-08 Islanders season.
After reading and hearing about the exclusive Islanders ticket sale at the Coliseum, almost a thousand fans had arrived at the Coliseum by 10:00 am to get first dibs at the best seats for the most in-demand games. As of 3:00 pm this afternoon the crowd had doubled, making this the most successful firs-day sale for the Islanders since September of 2002.
The most loyal fans award went to Steven Waldman and his son Warren, who started the line at 2:30 am, despite the sale beginning at 11 am.
"We love the Islanders. We were here so early even the cockroaches were still asleep," joked Steven. "We think the Islanders will do well this season, and we definitely wanted to get tickets to all of the big games."
Just a few hours after the Waldmans arrived, Islanders players Bruno Gervais, Wade Dubielewicz and Richard Park arrived to schmooze with the crowd of people waiting in line.
"It was great to see so many fans out here," said Dubie. "I'm excited to get back into the swing of the things."
Bruno was his usual bubbly self, spending more than just a couple of minutes with most of the fans as Islanders TV followed him. You won't want to miss his little comedy bit, which was caught on Islanders TV.
Of course, the day wouldn't be complete without appearances by Sparky and the Ice Girls. Chanel, Sasha, Samantha and Sage escorted the loveable dragon around the grounds of the Family Fan Fest, which debuted at the Coliseum. The kids in attendance were more than entertained by the Obstacle Course and Moon Bounce inflatables.
After meeting with business leaders earlier in the morning, general manager Garth Snow also made an appearance as he answered questions from the inquisitive crowd. Coach Ted Nolan also signed autographs and talked Islanders Hockey with the fans.
Joey Jager from Lynbrook had been scouting out the line at the Coliseum over the past few days for his brother Mike, who is currently at school in Florida. Mike is a huge Islanders fan, so Joey agreed to purchase tickets for his brother on Saturday to ensure he received seats to Opening Night and Al Arbour #1500.
"I'm a family man," said Joey. "My brother has been there for me in the past, so it was only right that I return the favor."
At press time, single-game ticket sales for the first half of the 2007-08 season were still going strong at the Coliseum.
These are just some of the early-season highlight games expected to sell out, so get your tickets ASAP:
- Saturday, Oct. 6 vs. Buffalo : Opening Night! Christie Brinkley dropping the ceremonial face off, followed by the debut of new Islanders captain Bill Guerin
- Monday afternoon, Oct. 8 vs. Washington : Kids Opening Day (DiPietro Team Jersey for All Kids) on Oct. 8
- Saturday, Oct. 20 vs. New Jersey : Firefighter Appreciation Night on Saturday, Oct. 20 (NYI Collectible Hat #1 of 3) as Brent Sutter returns to the Coliseum. Note: Firefighters receive up to 40% off tickets to this game with prices starting as low as $16.
- Saturday Oct. 27 vs. Carolina : Law Enforcement Appreciation Night/Halloween (NYI Collectible Hat #2 of 3). Note: Law Enforcement Officers receive up to 40% off tickets to this game with prices starting as low as $16.
- Saturday, Nov. 3 vs. Pittsburgh : Al Arbour Night, #1500 on Saturday, Nov. 3 when the legendary coach returns to the bench as the Islanders face Sidney Crosby and the Penguins (Mini Banner for All Fans)
- Saturday, Nov. 10 vs. New Jersey : Military Appreciation Night (NYI Collectible Hat #3 of 3). Note: Servicemen and women and veterans receive up to 40% off tickets to this game with prices starting as low as $16.
- Two home games against the rival Rangers: Oct. 10 and Nov. 6
Remaining tickets after the Coliseum box office exclusive sale will be available through ticketmaster.com and charge by phone (631) 888-9000 on Sunday, Sept. 9 beginning at 9:00 am.
Please contact the group sales department at 1 800 882 ISLES ext. 3 or firstname.lastname@example.org for special group pricing.
To purchase full season and partial ticket plans for the upcoming season, please call 1 800 882 ISLES.