Game Preview: New York Islanders vs. Phoenix Coyotes
|New York Islanders
1-0-1 (3 points – 3rd in Metropolitan Division, 7th in Eastern Conference)
1-1-0 (2 points - 5th in Pacific Division, 9th in Western Conference)
Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum
Play-by-play: Howie Rose; Color: Butch Goring
Radio: WHRU 88.7 FM, WRCN 103.9 FM
Chris King: Play-by-play
|2011-12 season series (0-1-0)
The last time the Islanders faced off against the Coyotes was Jan. 7, 2012, when the teams met in Arizona. Shane Doan capped off his first career hat trick with less than one second remaining in reglation as the Phoenix skated past New York 5-1. Frans Nielsen was the lone scorer for the Islanders, while John Tavares earned an assist.
Jan. 7, 2012: PHX 5, NYI 1 - RECAP, BOX SCORE, HIGHLIGHTS
|Coyotes player to watch
Radim Vrbata - Right Wing
Radim Vrbata scored a hat trick on opening night Oct. 3 against the New York Rangers, and is two tallies shy of 200 for his career. The 12-year veteran has quietly put up better offensive numbers as his career has gone along, including a 35-goal, 27-assist campaign in 2011-12, the last 82-game NHL season. The Mlada Boleslav, Czech Republic native is also the Phoenix Coyotes all-time leader amongst forwards in plus-minus with a plus-47 rating.
• The Islanders are 1-0-1 after starting the season with two straight shootout appearances for the first time in team history.
• Matt Moulson is 2-for-2 in shootout attempts.
• The Islanders and Coyotes are meeting at Nassau Coliseum for just the first time since Dec. 18, 2010, a game Phoenix won in a shootout. The Islanders are 31-23-13 all-time against the Coyotes franchise.
• Lubomir Visnovsky has more assists (29) against Phoenix than he does against any other team.
|New York Islanders previous game lines
26 Matt Moulson – 91 John Tavares – 21 Kyle Okposo
12 Josh Bailey – 51 Frans Nielsen – 40 Michael Grabner
29 Brock Nelson – 16 Peter Regin – 96 Pierre-Marc Bouchard
17 Matt Martin – 53 Casey Cizikas – 13 Colin McDonald
47 Andrew MacDonald – 3 Travis Hamonic
11 Lubomir Visnovsky – 14 Thomas Hickey
37 Brian Strait – 46 Matt Donovan
20 Evgeni Nabokov
60 Kevin Poulin
|Phoenix Coyotes previous game lines
28 Lauri Korpikoski - 11 Martin Hanzal - 17 Radim Vrbata
89 Mikkel Boedker - 63 Mike Ribeiro - 19 Shane Doan
22 Lucas Lessio - 50 Antoine Vermette - 18 David Moss
44 Chris Brown - 24 Kyle Chipchura - 36 Rob Klinkhammer
4 Zbynek Michalek - 23 Oliver Ekman-Larsson
2 David Rundblad - 6 David Schlemko
3 Keith Yandle - 53 Derek Morris
41 Mike Smith
1 Thomas Greiss
|What's Happening at the Coliseum 10/5/13
• Hockey Fights Cancer: Proceeds from Pink cotton candy go to HFC Campaign. Donation slips available on concourse.