Game Preview: Islanders vs. Flames
The Islanders and Flames meet for the first time since 2011.
Thursday, 02.6.2014 / 12:00 AM ET / News
By Cory Wright
|New York Islanders
22-28-8 (52 points – 8th in Metropolitan Division, 14th in Eastern Conference)
21-28-7 (49 points - 6th in Pacific Division, 13th in Western Conference)
Television: MSG PLUS
Play-by-play: Howie Rose; Color: Butch Goring
Radio: WRHU 88.7 FM, LI News 103.9 FM
Play-by-play :Chris King
|2011-12 season series (1-0-0)
The Islanders won the 2011-12 season series with the Flames, taking the long meeting 3-1 on Dec. 29 at Nassau Coliseum. John Tavares’ game-winner was an absolutely beauty, as he streaked down the wing to the goal line and curled around a Flames defenseman and buried on Miikka Kiprusoff. Evgeni Nabokov made 29-of-30 saves in the win.
Dec. 29, 2011: NYI 3, CGY 1 - RECAP, BOX SCORE, HIGHLIGHTS
|Flames player to watch
Mark Giordano - Forward
Mark Giordano leads the Flames defense and is second in team scoring with nine goals and 19 assists through 38 games this season. The Flames captain could topple his career high (43 points in 2010-11) if he can stay healthy the rest of the way and is only two goals shy of his career high. Giordano had a nine-game point streak (4g/6a) snapped Tuesday in Montreal.
• Vs. the Flames: The Islanders are 5-1-0 in their last six games against the Flames and have won the last three meetings with Calgary at Nassau Coliseum.
• Killin’ It: The Islanders penalty kill has been perfect over the last five games, killing 14 penalties during that span, including six against the Washington Capitals on Tuesday night. The Islanders have killed 23-of-25 penalties over a nine-game span.
• Break in Sight: The Islanders have two games left – including tonight – before the Olympic break.
|New York Islanders previous game lines
26 Thomas Vanek – 91 John Tavares – 21 Kyle Okposo
40 Michael Grabner – 51 Frans Nielsen – 15 Cal Clutterbuck
12 Josh Bailey – 29 Brock Nelson – 13 Colin McDonald
17 Matt Martin – 53 Casey Cizikas – 36 Eric Boulton
37 Brian Strait – 47 Andrew MacDonald
14 Thomas Hickey – 11 Lubomir Visnovsky
44 Calvin de Haan – 46 Matt Donovan
20 Evgeni Nabokov
60 Kevin Poulin
|Calgary Flames previous game lines
24 Jiri Hudler - 11 Mikael Backlund - 22 Lee Stempniak
13 Michael Cammalleri - 23 Sean Monahan - 8 Joe Colborne
17 Lance Bouma - 18 Matt Stajan - 54 David Jones
15 Kevin Westgarth - 39 T.J. Galiardi - 16 Brian McGrattan
7 T.J. Brodie - 5 Mark Giordano
4 Kris Russell - 44 Chris Butler
3 Ladislav Smid - 6 Dennis Wideman
29 Reto Berra
|What's Happening at the Coliseum:
• Lower lobby opens at 5pm
• Doors open at 5:45pm
• National and Canadian Anthem- Hofstra Vocal Jazz Quartet
• 50/50 benefitting Islanders Children’s Foundation
• Mercedes Benz of Massapequa Chuck-a-Puck