Game Preview: Islanders vs. Devils
The Islanders battle their Tri-State rivals Saturday afternoon at the Coliseum.
Saturday, 03.1.2014 / 12:00 AM ET / News
New York Islanders
|New York Islanders
23-30-8 (54 points – 8th in Metropolitan Division, 14th in Eastern Conference)
|New Jersey Devils
25-22-13 (63 points - 6th in Metropolitan Division, 11th in Eastern Conference)
Television: MSG PLUS
Play-by-play: Howie Rose; Color: Butch Goring
Radio: WRHU 88.7 FM, LI News Radio 103.9 FM
Play-by-play: Chris King
• Call-Ups Impress: Anders Lee (two goals), Ryan Strome (one assist) and Mike Halmo (four hits) all hit the statsheet in Thursday's 5-4 OT win over Toronto.
• Nielsen/Martin Progress: Frans Nielsen and Matt Martin practiced, with contact, on Friday. Head coach Jack Capuano said he saw improvement, but did not update their status for today's game.
• Double Shorty: Michael Grabner scored a pair of shorthanded goals 48 seconds apart, on the same penalty, setting a new Islanders record - fastest two shorthanded goals by one player - in the process.
• Ageless Wonders: The Devils two leading scorers, Jaromir Jagr and Patrik Elias, are the two oldest skaters on the team. Jagr is 42, while Elias is 37, but will turn 38 before the end of the season. Goaltender Martin Brodeur is also 41-year-old.
• Stingy Devils: The Devils boast the league’s top penalty kill (87.4%) and have allowed the fourth-fewest goals-per-game (2.33) in the NHL.
• 700 Club: Jaromir Jagr is one-goal shy of 700 in his career. Jagr currently leads the Devils in goals (18), assists (32) and points (50).
|Islanders player to watch
Anders Lee - Forward
Anders Lee had an immediate impact his season debut for the Islanders, scoring two third-period goals – including the tying marker – in a 5-4 OT win over the Toronto Maple Leafs. The recent Sound Tigers call-up now has four points (three goals, one assists) in three-career NHL games dating back to last season. Lee led the Sound Tigers with 22 goals this season and was second in team scoring with 41 points at the time of the call.
|Devils player to watch
Patrik Elias - Forward
At 37, Patrik Elias is defying the aging process and has 36 points (12 goals, 24 assists) in 45 games this season; which ranks second in Devils scoring. The career Devil is a reliable, consistent scorer who has put up nearly 1,000 points (currently 966) since breaking into the league in 1995-96. Elias is coming off of a three-point game (one goal, two assists) against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Thursday.
|2013-14 season series (1-1-0)
The Islanders and Devils split the first two games of their season series, with the road team picking up each victory. In their most recent matchup the Islanders fell to the Devils 2-1 at Nassau Coliseum. Frans Nielsen scored the lone goal for the Islanders, tying the game in the third period, but Travis Zajac netted the game-winner two and half minutes later for the Devils.
Dec. 28, 2013: NJD 2, NYI 1 - RECAP, BOX SCORE, HIGHLIGHTS
|New York Islanders previous game lines
26 Thomas Vanek – 29 Brock Nelson – 21 Kyle Okposo
40 Michael Grabner – 12 Josh Bailey – 15 Cal Clutterbuck
27 Anders Lee – 18 Ryan Strome – 13 Colin McDonald
36 Eric Boulton – 53 Casey Cizikas – 43 Mike Halmo
44 Calvin de Haan – 3 Travis Hamonic
14 Thomas Hickey – 11 Lubomir Visnovsky
37 Brian Strait – 47 Andrew MacDonald
20 Evgeni Nabokov
60 Kevin Poulin
|New Jersey Devils previous game lines
8 Dainius Zubrus – 19 Travis Zajac – 68 Jaromir Jagr
14 Adam Henrique – 26 Patrick Elias – 12 Damien Brunner
29 Ryane Clowe – 21 Andrei Loktionov – 17 Michael Ryder
20 Ryan Carter – 11 Stephen Gionta – 18 Steve Bernier
6 Andy Greene – 7 Mark Fayne
24 Bryce Salvador – 2 Marek Zidlicky
22 Eric Gelinas – 34 Jon Merrill
30 Martin Brodeur
35 Cory Schneider
|What's Happening at the Coliseum:
• Lower Lobby @ 11am
• Doors Open @ 11:30am
• Marvel Superhero Day
• Charity of Game: Heather Pendergast Foundation
• Mercedes Benz Chuck-A-Puck
• • •