Game Preview: Islanders vs. Panthers
The Islanders host the Panthers in matinee action.
Sunday, 03.02.2014 / 12:00 AM / News
By Cory Wright
|New York Islanders
23-31-8 (54 points – 8th in Metropolitan Division, 14th in Eastern Conference)
22-31-7 (51 points - 7th in Atlantic Division, 15th in Eastern Conference)
Television: MSG PLUS
Play-by-play: Howie Rose; Color: Butch Goring
Radio: WRHU 88.7 FM, LI News Radio 103.9 FM
Play-by-play: Chris King
• Nilsson Recalled: Anders Nilsson was recalled by the Islanders on Saturday morning. The Swedish goalie made 15 saves in relief of Evgeni Nabokov Saturday afternoon against the Devils.
• Bounce Back: The Islanders are looking to bounce back from a 6-1 loss Saturday against the Devils.
• Nielsen/Martin: Frans Nielsen and Matt Martin are currently listed as day-to-day.
• Hamonic Suspended: Travis Hamonic will miss today's game while serving a one-game suspension for instigating.
• First Visit: Brad Boyes and the Panthers visit Nassau Coliseum for the first time this season. Boyes had 35 points (10 goals, 25 assists) in 48 games for the Islanders last season.
• Early Holes: The Panthers have trailed 2-0 at some point in each of their past two games.
• Bounce Back: The Panthers are looking to bounce back from a 6-3 loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets on Saturday afternoon.
•Leading Scorers: Boyes (17 goals, 11 assists) and Scottie Upshall (10 goals, 17 assists) lead the Panthers.
|Islanders player to watch
Kyle Okposo - Forward
Kyle Okposo scored the Islanders lone goal on Saturday afternoon, deflecting his 25th of the season past future Hall-of-Famer Martin Brodeur. The Islanders assistant captain is having a career-year, setting new highs in goals, assists (35) and points (60). Okposo is second in team scoring and seventh on the NHL leaderboard. The hard-nosed winger is the Isles top offensive threat in the absence of John Tavares.
|Panthers player to watch
Brian Campbell - Defense
Brian Campbell anchors the Panthers back end, playing 27:39 TOI per game while leading all Panthers defensemen with 26 points (five goals, 21 assists). Campbell has been a reliable offensive defenseman during his NHL tenure, having scored over 40 points in six of the last eight full seasons. Campbell posted a career-high 62 points (eight goals, 54 assists) in 2007-08, as well as 53 points (four goals, 49 assists) in 2011-12 in his first season with the Panthers.
|2013-14 season series (0-1-0)
The Islanders had their seven-game road winning streak snapped by the Panthers when the teams met on Jan. 14. The Panthers scored three first-period goals en route to a 4-0 lead. Thomas Vanek and Colin McDonald scored for the Islanders, but Tim Thomas made 14 saves in the third period to preserve the win.
Jan 14, 2014: FLA 4, NYI 2 - RECAP, BOX SCORE, HIGHLIGHTS
|New York Islanders previous game lines
26 Thomas Vanek – 29 Brock Nelson – 21 Kyle Okposo
40 Michael Grabner – 12 Josh Bailey – 15 Cal Clutterbuck
27 Anders Lee – 18 Ryan Strome – 13 Colin McDonald
36 Eric Boulton – 53 Casey Cizikas – 43 Mike Halmo
44 Calvin de Haan – 3 Travis Hamonic
14 Thomas Hickey – 11 Lubomir Visnovsky
37 Brian Strait – 47 Andrew MacDonald
20 Evgeni Nabokov
45 Anders Nilsson
|Florida Panthers previous game lines
20 Sean Bergenheim - 27 Nick Bjugstad - 24 Brad Boyes
17 Jesse Winchester - 57 Marcel Goc - 14 Tomas Fleischmann
11 Jonathan Huberdeau - 15 Drew Shore - 19 Scottie Upshall
21 Krys Barch - 18 Shawn Matthias - 12 Jimmy Hayes
51 Brian Campbell - 77 Tom Gilbert
44 Erik Gudbranson - 55 Ed Jovanovski
7 Dmitry Kulikov - 43 Mike Weaver
34 Tim Thomas
30 Scott Clemmensen
|What's Happening at the Coliseum:
• Lower Lobby @ 1pm
• Doors Open @ 1:30pm
• Nickelodeon Day with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
• Charity of Game: Literacy Nassau
• Mercedes Benz Chuck-A-Puck
• Mick Foley Meet and Greet