Game Preview: Islanders at Flames
The Islanders close out their season series with the Flames on Friday.
Friday, 03.7.2014 / 12:00 AM ET / News
By Cory Wright
|New York Islanders
24-32-9 (57 points – 8th in Metropolitan Division, 14th in Eastern Conference)
24-31-7 (55 points - 6th in Pacific Division, 13th in Western Conference)
Television: MSG PLUS 2
Play-by-play: Jiggs McDonald; Color: Butch Goring
Radio: WRHU 88.7 FM, LI News Radio 103.9 FM
Play-by-play: Chris King
• Road Islanders: The Islanders are 11-3-1 in their last 15 road games.
• Seven in Seven: Anders Lee has seven points (five goals, two assists) in seven-career NHL games. Lee scored his fourth of the season, and second in two games, on Thursday night against Edmonton.
• Hickey's Homecoming: Calgary, AB native Thomas Hickey is set to play in his hometown for the first time.
• Cammalleri Stays: Despite trade rumors, Michael Cammalleri was not moved at the NHL trade deadline.
• Bye-Bye Berra: The Flames acquired Colorado’s second-round pick in the 2014 NHL Draft in exchange for goaltender Reto Berra.
• Call-ups: Earlier this week the Flames called up Corban Knight, Max Reinhart, Ben Hanowski, and Joey MacDonald from the Abbotsford Heat, their AHL affiliate.
|Islanders player to watch
Thomas Hickey - Defense
Thomas Hickey is the only Islanders player to appear in all 65 games this season - and has four goals and 13 assists over that span. Hickey skated 17 minutes in Thursday’s loss and picked up an assist on Frans Nielsen’s shorthanded-goal. The Calgary native has been a reliable, well-positioned presence on the Islanders back end and is set to play in his hometown for the first time in his NHL career Friday.
|Flames player to watch
Sean Monahan - Forward
Sean Monahan is having a fantastic rookie season for the Flames with 18 goals and 28 points in 58 games. Monahan’s 18 goals is third among rookies and trails Nathan MacKinnon by four tallies. Two of Monahan’s 18 goals have been game-winners, most recently as part of a two-goal effort against archrivals Edmonton. Monahan has four points (two goals, two assists) in the Flames last three games.
|2013-14 season series (0-1-0)
The Islanders lost to the Calgary Flames 4-2 on Feb. 6 at Nassau Coliseum. Calgary native Thomas Hickey and Calvin de Haan scored for the Islanders, but the rally fell short, as David Jones scored the eventual winner with 5:32 to play. The loss was the Islanders first to the Flames since Jan. 8, 2009.
Feb. 6, 2014: CGY 4, NYI 2 - RECAP, BOX SCORE, HIGHLIGHTS
|New York Islanders previous game lines
40 Michael Grabner – 51 Frans Nielsen – 21 Kyle Okposo
27 Anders Lee – 18 Ryan Strome – 13 Colin McDonald
12 Josh Bailey – 29 Brock Nelson – 15 Cal Clutterbuck
17 Matt Martin – 53 Casey Cizikas – 43 Mike Halmo
44 Calvin de Haan – 46 Matt Donovan
14 Thomas Hickey – 11 Lubomir Visnovsky
37 Brian Strait – 3 Travis Hamonic
20 Evgeni Nabokov
45 Anders Nilsson
|Calgary Flames previous game lines
13 Michael Cammalleri – 11 Mikael Backlund – 8 Joe Colborne
24 Jiri Hudler – 23 Sean Monahan – 17 Lance Bouma
59 Max Reinhart – 60 Markus Granlund – 31 Paul Byron
58 Ben Hanowski – 10 Corban Knight – 16 Brian McGrattan
5 Mark Giordano – 7 T.J. Bordie
3 Ladislav Smid – 6 Dennis Wideman
4 Kris Russell – 44 Chris Butler
35 Joey MacDonald
37 Joni Ortio
|Quote of the Day:
Jack Capuano on tonight's game against Calgary
We have to establish our forecheck a little bit harder there. They have some veteran defense. Tonight [the Oilers] had a younger defense, I thought they played well, but Friday will be a tougher task.