Game Preview: Islanders vs. Sharks
The Islanders open up a four-game homestand against the Sharks.
Friday, 03.14.2014 / 12:00 AM ET / News
By Cory Wright
|New York Islanders
25-33-9 (59 points – 8th in Metropolitan Division, 14th in Eastern Conference)
|San Jose Sharks
43-17-7 (93 points - 2nd in Pacific Division, 3rd in Western Conference)
Television: MSG PLUS
Play-by-play: Howie Rose; Color: Butch Goring
Radio: WRHU 88.7 FM, LI News Radio 103.9 FM
Play-by-play: Chris King
• Club Record: The Islanders tied a club record by scoring seven goals in one period Monday night against the Vancouver Canucks.
• Grabner Hurt: Michael Grabner is out with a concussion. There is no timetable on his return.
• Czuczman Signs: NCAA free agent Kevin Czuczman signed a two-year, entry-level deal with the Islanders on Tuesday.
• Sundstrom Recalled: Johan Sundstrom was recalled by the Islanders on Thursday afternoon.
• Shark Week: The Sharks have won four straight and are 8-1-1 in their last 10 games.
• TIger Sharks: The Sharks boast three of the league's top 25 scorers. Joe Pavelski (34-32-66), Joe Thornton (9-55-64) and Patrick Marleau (28-31-59) are among the league's top offensive threats.
• Sharknado: The Sharks have scored 67 first-period goals, including 10 in the opening two minutes.
• Vs. the East: The Sharks are 19-6-3 against the East this season and 8-3-2 vs. the Metropolitan Division.
|Islanders player to watch
Frans Nielsen - Forward
Frans Nielsen reached a milestone Monday, burying his 20th goal of the season. Nielsen hit the 20-goal mark for the first time on Monday, part of a two-point game against the Vancouver Canucks. The career-Islander had previously scored 17 goals in the 2011-12 season and is one point shy of tying his career-high in points (47), set in the same year. Nielsen has three points (one goal, two assists) in his last three games.
|Sharks player to watch
Joe Pavelski - Forward
Joe Pavelski is on the cusp of a career year, as his 66 points (34 goals, 32 assists) match his previous best, set during the 2010-11 season. “Little Joe” leads the Sharks with 34 goals – a personal best – and 66 points. If the two-time US Olympian can maintain his scoring lead over captain Joe Thornton, Pavelski would end Thornton’s two-year reign as Sharks scoring leader. Pavelski has seven points (two goals, five assists) in his last four games.
|2013-14 season series (1-0-0)
The Islanders took two points from hostile waters in a 3-2 shootout win over the San Jose Sharks on Dec. 11 at SAP Center. Trailing 2-0 after 40 minutes, the Islanders scored twice in the third period forcing overtime. Kevin Poulin was spectacular for the Islanders, making 46 saves in the win. Kyle Okposo scored the game-tying and-deciding goals.
Dec. 11, 2013: NYI 3, SJS 2 SO - RECAP, BOX SCORE, HIGHLIGHTS
|New York Islanders previous game lines
40 Michael Grabner – 51 Frans Nielsen – 21 Kyle Okposo
27 Anders Lee – 18 Ryan Strome – 13 Colin McDonald
12 Josh Bailey – 29 Brock Nelson – 15 Cal Clutterbuck
17 Matt Martin – 53 Casey Cizikas – 43 Mike Halmo
44 Calvin de Haan – 3 Travis Hamonic
14 Thomas Hickey – 11 Lubomir Visnovsky
37 Brian Strait – 46 Matt Donovan
20 Evgeni Nabokov
45 Anders Nilsson
|San Jose Sharks previous game lines
8 Joe Pavelski - 19 Joe Thornton - 88 Brent Burns
12 Patrick Marleau - 39 Logan Couture - 83 Matthew Nieto
9 Martin Havlat - 15 James Sheppard - 57 Tommy Wingels
37 Adam Burish - 10 Andrew Desjardins - 18 Mike Brown
44 Marc-Edouard Vlasic - 5 Jason Demers
27 Scott Hannan - 61 Justin Braun
52 Matt Irwin - 22 Dan Boyle
31 Antti Niemi
32 Alex Stalock
|What's Happening at the Coliseum:
• Lower Lobby Opens at 5pm
• Doors Opens at 5:45pm
• Charity of the Game – ICF
• Mercedes Chuck a Puck
• Sponsored Giveaway – LIU Draw String Bags