Game Preview: Islanders vs. Wild
The Islanders face off against the Wild at the Coliseum.
Tuesday, 03.18.2014 / 12:00 AM / News
By Cory Wright
|New York Islanders
26-34-9 (61 points – 8th in Metropolitan Division, 14th in Eastern Conference)
35-23-10 (80 points - 4th in Central Division, 7th in Western Conference)
Television: MSG PLUS 2
Play-by-play: Howie Rose; Color: Butch Goring
Radio: WRHU 88.7 FM, LI News Radio 103.9 FM
Play-by-play: Chris King
• Top Line: The Islanders new-look top line - Frans Nielsen, Kyle Okposo and Anders Lee - have combined for 17 points (6G, 11A) in three games.
• Getting Wild: The Islanders have won four straight games against the Minnesota Wild.
• Okposo: Kyle Okposo was named the NHL's Second Star of the Week on Monday. Okposo had seven points (1G, 6A) in three games last week and is on a four-game point streak (2G, 6A).
• Moulson, Niederreiter Return: Former Islanders Matt Moulson and Nino Niederreiter return to Long Island for the first time since being dealt by the team.
• Playoff Race: The Wild are currently seventh in the Western Conference playoff picture. They are three points ahead of eighth-placed Phoenix.
• Team Leaders: Jason Pominville leads the Wild in goals (26) and points (48). Zach Parise is second in both categories with 23 goals and 21 assists.
|Islanders player to watch
Cal Clutterbuck - Forward
After spending six seasons with the Minnesota Wild, Cal Clutterbuck faces off against his former team for the second time this season. The Welland, Ont. native scored in his return to Minnesota in the Islanders 5-4 comeback win on Dec. 29 and has nine goals and seven assists in 2013-14. Clutterbuck has goals in two of his last three games and is fifth in the NHL with 223 hits this season.
|Wild player to watch
Matt Moulson - Forward
Matt Moulson makes his return to Nassau Coliseum for the first time since being traded to the Buffalo Sabres on Oct. 27. Moulson had 15 goals and 29 assists in 44 games with the Sabres before being dealt to his Minnesota Wild. In six games with his current team, Moulson has one goal and one assist. Moulson joined the Islanders in 2009-10, scoring 30 or more goals in his first three seasons with the team.
|2013-14 season series (1-0-0)
The Islanders overcame a 3-0 hole for a 5-4 comeback win over the Minnesota Wild on Dec. 29, 2013. The Isles scored five goals in the final 37 minutes for the gutsy win after falling behind 3-0 in the opening 23 minutes. Kyle Okposo scored two third-period goals, including the game winner. John Tavares, Thomas Hickey and former-Wild Cal Clutterbuck also scored.
Dec. 29, 2013: NYI 5, MIN 4 - RECAP, BOX SCORE, HIGHLIGHTS
|New York Islanders previous game lines
27 Anders Lee – 51 Frans Nielsen – 21 Kyle Okposo
12 Josh Bailey – 29 Brock Nelson – 15 Cal Clutterbuck
17 Matt Martin – 18 Ryan Strome – 13 Colin McDonald
28 Johan Sundstrom – 53 Casey Cizikas – 43 Mike Halmo
44 Calvin de Haan – 3 Travis Hamonic
14 Thomas Hickey – 11 Lubomir Visnovsky
37 Brian Strait – 7 Matt Carkner
45 Anders Nilsson
20 Evgeni Nabokov
|Minnesota Wild previous game lines
11 Zach Parise - 64 Mikael Granlund - 29 Jason Pominville
26 Matt Moulson - 9 Mikko Koivu - 3 Charlie Coyle
24 Matt Cooke - 21 Kyle Brodziak - 22 Nino Niederreiter
15 Dany Heatley - 56 Erik Haula - 14 Justin Fontaine
20 Ryan Suter - 46 Jared Spurgeon
6 Marco Scandella - 25 Jonas Brodin
4 Clayton Stoner - 2 Keith Ballard
35 Darcy Kuemper
30 Ilya Bryzgalov
|What's Happening at the Coliseum:
• Lower Lobby 5pm
• Doors Open 5:45pm
• Charity of Game – Islanders Children’s Foundation
• Mercedes Chuck-a-Puck
• Jersey’s Off the Back Auction