Game Preview: Islanders vs. Panthers
The Islanders wrap up their season series against the Panthers.
Tuesday, 04.01.2014 / 12:00 AM / News
By Sarah Holzberg
|New York Islanders
29-36-9 (67 points – 8th in Metropolitan Division, 14th in Eastern Conference)
27-41-8 (62 points - 7th in Atlantic Division, 15th in Eastern Conference)
Television: MSG PLUS
Play-by-play: Howie Rose; Color: Butch Goring
Radio: WRHU 88.7 FM, LI News Radio 103.9 FM
Play-by-play: Chris King
• Young Guns: The Islanders have 10 rookies on their active roster.
• Isles Ace: Shootout ace Frans Nielsen improved to 32-for-57 (56.1%) in his career with his goal against New Jersey. Nielsen is 7-for-12 this season (58.3%).
• Okposo: Kyle Okposo has missed two straight games with a lower-body injury.
• Last Four: The Islanders have taken seven of a possible eight points in their last four games (3-0-1).
• Vs. the Islanders: The Panthers won both meetings with the Islanders this season.
• Boyes: Brad Boyes scored his 20th goal of the season Monday, reaching the 20-goal mark for the first time since 2008-09.
• Luongo: Roberto Luongo has missed the Panthers last three games.
• Last Four: The Panthers are 1-3-0 in their last four games.
|Islanders player to watch
Frans Nielsen - Forward
Frans Nielsen is the active leading scorer on the Islanders with 52 points (23 goals, 29 assists) in 72 games this season. Nielsen has points in three of his last four games (one goal, two assists), but also had the game-decider in the Islanders shootout win over the New Jersey Devils on Saturday. The Danish center set career highs in goals and points this season.
|Panthers player to watch
Scottie Upshall - Forward
Scottie Upshall leads the Florida Panthers with 35 points (14 goals, 21assists) in 70 games this season. The third-year Panther set a career high in points, largely due to staying healthy, as Upshall played 53 games over his first two seasons in Florida, compared to 70 this season. Upshall has five points (two goals, three assists) in two games against the Islanders this season.
|2013-14 season series (0-2-0)
The Islanders lost their first two games to the Florida Panthers this season, including a 5-3 loss at Nassau Coliseum on March 2. In that outing, the Islanders had a 3-1 lead after 40 minutes, but gave up four unanswered goals in the third period.
Mar. 2, 2014: FLA 5, NYI 3 - RECAP, BOX SCORE, HIGHLIGHTS
|New York Islanders previous game lines
27 Anders Lee – 51 Frans Nielsen – 12 Josh Bailey
56 John Persson – 29 Brock Nelson – 15 Cal Clutterbuck
17 Matt Martin – 18 Ryan Strome – 13 Colin McDonald
43 Mike Halmo – 53 Casey Cizikas – 28 Johan Sundstrom
44 Calvin de Haan – 3 Travis Hamonic
14 Thomas Hickey – 24 Kevin Czuczman
46 Matt Donovan – 7 Matt Carkner
20 Evgeni Nabokov
45 Anders Nilsson
|Florida Panthers previous game lines
20 Sean Bergengeim – 27 Nick Bjudstad – 24 Brad Boyes
14 Tomas Fleischmann – 67 Vincent Trocheck – 19 Scottie Upshall
17 Jesse Winchester – 73 Brandon Pirri – 42 Quinton Howden
12 Jimmy Hayes – 23 Scott Gomez – 21 Krys Barch
7 Dmitry Kulikov – 51 Brian Campbell
55 Ed Jovanovski – 47 Colby Robak
44 Erik Gudbranson – 4 Dylan Olsen
39 Dan Ellis
30 Scott Clemmensen
|What's Happening at the Coliseum:
• Doors open 5:45
• Lower Lobby 5:00pm
• Bob Nystrom Award Presentation
• Fan Appreciation Sale
• Charity of the Game – Islanders Children’s Foundation