Game Preview: Islanders at Blue Jackets
The Islanders look to play spoiler against the Blue Jackets.
Sunday, 04.6.2014 / 12:00 AM ET / News
By Cory Wright
|New York Islanders
31-35-11 (73 points – 8th in Metropolitan Division, 14th in Eastern Conference)
|Columbus Blue Jackets
39-31-7 (85 points - 4th in Metropolitan Division, 8th in Eastern Conference)
Television: MSG PLUS
Play-by-play: Howie Rose; Color: Butch Goring
Radio: WRHU 88.7 FM, LI News Radio 103.9 FM
Play-by-play: Chris King; Color: Greg Picker
• Points in Seven: The Isles have points in seven straight games, going 5-0-2 in that span.
• Bailey: Josh Bailey has six points (two goals, four assists) during a four-game point streak.
• Mayfield, Sundstrom Recalled: The Islanders recalled Scott Mayfield and Johan Sundstrom.
• Grabner, de Haan Hurt: Michael Grabner (upper body) and Calvin de Haan (lower body) left Saturday's game and did not return.
|Blue Jackets Storylines
• Team Leaders: Ryan Johansen leads the Blue Jackets in goals (31) and points (56), while James Wisniewski leads the team with 40 assists.
• Wild Cards: The Blue Jackets are hanging onto the second wild card playoff spot in the Eastern Conference with five games to play.
• Bobrovsky: Sergei Bobrovsky is in fine form this season, boasting a 28-20-5-4 record with a 2.45 GAA and a .920 SV%
|Islanders player to watch
John Persson - Forward
The Islanders rookie tallied his first career NHL goal in Saturday’s game against the Washington Capitals. During his first five games he’s played primarily with Brock Nelson and Cal Clutterbuck on the Isles’ second line. During 43 games with the Sound Tigers this season, the Ostersund, Sweden native had 12 goals and four assists along with 36 penalty minutes.
|Blue Jackets player to watch
Brandon Dubinsky - Forward
The Dubinsky comes into tonight’s game on a three-game point streak (one goal, two assists). With 47 points (16 goals, 31 assists) in 71 games this season, the Anchorage, Alaska native has totaled the second most points in his seven-year career and is seven shy of his career high. Dubinsky has four points (one goal, three assists) in three games against the Isles this season.
|2013-14 season series (1-1-1)
The Islanders are 1-1-1 against the Blue Jackets this season. In their most recent outing, the Islanders blanked the Blue Jackets 2-0 at Nassau Coliseum. Evgeni Nabokov made 41 saves while Cal Clutterbuck and Travis Hamonic scored a pair of goals for the Isles.
Mar 23, 2014: NYI 2, CBJ 0 - RECAP, BOX SCORE, HIGHLIGHTS
|New York Islanders previous game lines
27 Anders Lee – 51 Frans Nielsen – 12 Josh Bailey
40 Michael Grabner – 29 Brock Nelson – 15 Cal Clutterbuck
17 Matt Martin – 18 Ryan Strome – 13 Colin McDonald
43 Mike Halmo – 53 Casey Cizikas – 56 John Persson
44 Calvin de Haan – 3 Travis Hamonic
14 Thomas Hickey – 24 Kevin Czuczman
46 Matt Donovan – 7 Matt Carkner
20 Evgeni Nabokov
45 Anders Nilsson
|Columbus Blue Jackets previous game lines
38 Boone Jenner - 19 Ryan Johansen - 55 Mark Letestu
11 Matt Calvert - 17 Brandon Dubinsky - 13 Cam Atkinson
23 Matt Frattin - 42 Artem Anisimov - 18 RJ Umberger
14 Blake Comeau - 24 Derek MacKenzie - 40 Jared Boll
7 Jack Johnson - 47 Dalton Prout
27 Ryan Murray - 21 James Wisniewski
51 Fedor Tyutin - 58 David Savard
72 Sergei Bobrovsky
31 Curtis McElhinney
|Quote of the Day:
Ryan Strome on the rookies' perspective:
"We know the standings and where we are at, but a lot of guys are in it for next year and trying to earn spots. These guys are pushing for the playoffs and we’re pushing for jobs.”