Game Preview: Islanders vs. Senators
The Islanders play their final home game this season against the Senators.
Tuesday, 04.08.2014 / 12:00 AM / News
By Cory Wright
|New York Islanders
31-36-11 (73 points – 8th in Metropolitan Division, 14th in Eastern Conference)
33-31-14 (80 points - 6th in Atlantic Division, 12th in Eastern Conference)
Television: MSG PLUS
Play-by-play: Howie Rose; Color: Butch Goring
Radio: WRHU 88.7 FM, LI News Radio 103.9 FM
Play-by-play: Chris King
• Gallant Recalled: Brett Gallant earned his first NHL call up on Monday. Johan Sundstrom was returned to Bridgeport.
• Final Home Game: Tonight is the Isles home finale, as they finish the season with three road games.
• Nielsen: Frans Nielsen, having a career year (24g, 29a) is one point away from 250 career points.
• Dubielewicz Anniversary: Today is the seven-year anniversary of Wade Dubielewicz's poke check that helped the Islanders clinch a spot in the 2007 playoffs.
• Team Leaders: Erik Karlsson leads the Senators with 51 assists and 71 points, while Kyle Turris leads the Senators with 25 goals and a plus-21 rating.
• Playoff Hopes: The Senators are seven points back of the final Eastern Conference playoff spot with four games to play. The Senators need all four wins to have a shot at making the playoffs.
• Last 10: The Senators are 5-4-1 in their last 10 games. The Senators beat the New York Rangers 3-2 in their most recent outing on Saturday.
|Islanders player to watch
Kevin Czuczman - Defense
Fresh out of the NCAA, Kevin Czuczman has made an immediate contribution with the Islanders, as the team is 5-2-2 with the rookie defenseman. The Port Elgin, ON, native's steady play has been rewarded, as Czuczman is averaging 19:26 TOI per game. Czuczman was paired with Travis Hamonic in the absence of Calvin de Haan and skated over 22:00 TOI Sunday against the Columbus Blue Jackets.
|Senators player to watch
Clarke MacArthur - Forward
Clarke MacArthur is having a stellar first season with the Senators, scoring 24 goals and 31 assists playing primarily with Kyle Turris and Bobby Ryan. MacArthur’s 24 goals are a career-high, as is his plus-12 rating. The Lloydminster, AB native has one goal in two games against the Islanders this season. MacArthur is eight points shy of setting a new career high.
|2013-14 season series (2-0-0)
The Islanders are 2-0-0 against the Senators this season, taking both meetings at Canadian Tire Centre. In their most recent outing, Josh Bailey and Casey Cizikas each scored while Ryan Strome had two assists in a 2-1 Islanders win.
Apr. 2, 2014: NYI 2, OTT 1 - RECAP, BOX SCORE, HIGHLIGHTS
|New York Islanders previous game lines
27 Anders Lee – 51 Frans Nielsen – 12 Josh Bailey
56 John Persson – 29 Brock Nelson – 15 Cal Clutterbuck
17 Matt Martin – 18 Ryan Strome – 13 Colin McDonald
43 Mike Halmo – 53 Casey Cizikas – 28 Johan Sundstrom
24 Kevin Czuczman – 3 Travis Hamonic
14 Thomas Hickey – 7 Matt Carkner
46 Matt Donovan – 42 Scott Mayfield
45 Anders Nilsson
20 Evgeni Nabokov
|Ottawa Senators previous game lines
16 Clarke MacArthur – 7 Kyle Turris – 61 Mark Stone
9 Milan Michalek – 19 Jason Spezza – 83 Ales Hemsky
15 Zack Smith – 93 Mika Zibanejad – 25 Chris Neil
68 Mike Hoffman – 44 Jean-Gabriel Pageau – 22 Erik Condra
3 Marc Methot – 65 Erik Karlsson
4 Chris Phillips – 5 Cody Ceci
46 Patrick Wiercioch – 62 Eric Gryba
40 Robin Lehner
41 Craig Anderson
|What's Happening at the Coliseum:
• 5:00PM lower lobby opens
• 5:45pm Doors Open
• Charity of the Game – Kick 4 Celiac
• Islanders Community Service Award presented
• Islander of the Year presented